October 26, 2005
Food

My life is run by food, it's a big part of who i am. It's part of my family culture, it's been a comfort to me, and a detriment now sometimes as i battle losing weight. Today is kind of a food day and i thought I'd share with you a couple pics and a recipe. The first pic is of my mother's famous Bread Pudding w/Bourbon Sauce. Now, i can hear you, "Oh, i don't like bread pudding". That's what I use to say. But i tried this one and it was yummy! So now when i got home, one of my first requests was to have bread pudding. I also told my mother that if i ever get married, we're having bread pudding with bourbon sauce! Forget the cake! Sheesh, we can get a cake topper and go through all that but give our guests the GOOD stuff! It's so good that my friend asked mom if she'd make her one for her dad's birthday tomorrow and she'd pay her! Mom won't charge her and was happy to make one.

We also made Macaroni Tuna Casserole. There again, i can't say i was thrilled by tuna casserole, especially as a kid, until my mom's friend Cena gave her her sister's recipe. They are dutch and so i think it's an old family recipe. Except it takes Velveeta cheese and i'm not sure when that was invented...and i can hear you saying, eww Velveeta, or fish bait, but i would just say, try it, because this is really the best and cheesiest tuna casserole you'll ever have.
Here's the recipe:
3 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. flour (heaping)
3 cups milk
1/2 tsp. onion salt
salt and pepper
1 9 oz. can tuna
1 can cream of mushroom soup
4- 1/2 inch slices of Velveeta Cheese
3 Cups elbow macaroni, cooked as directed

Melt butter, add flour and cook until it bubbles and flour browns slightly. Add milk and stir until slightly thickened, add seasoning, turn heat to low, add flaked tuna, soup and cheese and stir until cheese is melted.

Place cooked macaroni in casserole, pour creamed tuna mixture over, mix well. Sprinkle cracker crumbs (or breadcrumbs) on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

We added about a half cup of frozen peas because we like them. We also added 2 cans of tuna instead of one. And we added crushed butter crackers on top before baking.






Would you look at the brat cat. This is his favorite spot in the whole house. He will sit in that window all day, just watching what's going on outside. That is fine with me as long as he doesn't try to go outside. We live on a dead-end by oil fields and there's coyotes up there. Too scary. If he's happy in the house, that's where he's staying. My mom took this pic this morning. She is so funny. She's turned into the cat lady. She bought him some cat toys yesterday and some treats. She loves the cat. She loves Simba too, but has found out that she's a cat person. She'll come in and say, "Have you ever noticed how Tom has one little black spot on the bottom of his foot?"...she's in love with him.

I've been knitting too but i had to put the socks down for awhile. I have size 1 metal dpn's i'm using and it gave me a sore under my pinky. Uncomfortable to knit sometimes, so i switched back to making cloths with my new circular bamboos from my Gimme Some Needles pal Tena and i love them. I started a scarf with the pink bulky Lamb's Pride yarn she gave me, but not sure i like the pattern, mom likes it, but i don't think it lays nice.

Can you tell i'm feeling better?





3 Comments:

Blogger me myself and i said...

mmmmmmmmm....love bread pudding!

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

What a sweet kitty! No wonder Mom fell in love!
(((hugs)))

Blogger Tori said...

It looks so Yummy! Save some for me, I'll be right over ;-). Cute Kitty! I want to get a kitty but need to have enough time to help the dogs adjust if need be. Sparky LOVES Cats, not sure about the other two.....

Post a Comment

<< Home