January 1, 2006
New beginnings...



Today in our house is a day of not having to do anything. Except as per our tradition, for good luck, you must have fresh flowers in the house and/or eat black eyed peas. Have you ever heard of Hoppin' John? Here's some history about Hoppin' John. And here is our recipe which i have no idea where it came from.

Hoppin John

2 cups dry blackeye beans
6 cups water
1 lb. ham hocks
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 tsp. dried chili pepper
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups rice
salt and pepper

Combine beans and water. Boil 2 minutes and let stand 1 hr. Add ham hocks, onion, dried pepper and salt. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Remove ham hock. Cut meat into small pieces. Drain beans, reserving liquid. Add water to reserved liquid to make 3 cups. Return beans, liquid, and ham to kettle. Add rice. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.


I had a pretty peaceful evening. I knit on my Dainty Bess scarf, which i love the alpaca yarn, it's yummy. We had a nice family dinner of steak, twice baked potatoes, green beans and mom made her bread pudding. I had some wine. Spoke to a friend in MN, spoke to the ex-bf, then my family toasted with some champagne and i spoke to the xbf again until 2 am. I had an earlier phone message from Junior where he apologized and said he wasn't going to call anymore and he broke down and cried and said that he was sorry he hurt me, and that he loved me. Huh, he never told me that before. It broke my heart that now he tells me. And i don't like the fact that he's feeling bad, but then i can't help that. I still can't talk to him.

I suppose i should get in the shower and out of these pajamas...





4 Comments:

Blogger Lulu said...

never heard of the flowers being good luck....I should of gotten flowers for myself, love them and maybe it would bring me some good luck..
have a great year..

Blogger . said...

Happy New Year!

Blogger Lulu said...

thanks for commenting on my blog..I am in southern cali, where it rained last night and might tonight..I am also trying to lose lots of fat..:)
glad i found your blog..

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I love black eyed peas and ham hocks, we just call them black eyed peas and ham though.

Yesterday was a great day for doing absolutely nothing!

Post a Comment

<< Home