December 16, 2006
Boring? No, thank you...

I don't know if I should be thoroughly insulted or just consider the source, but evidently being an insurance agent is considered being the most boring thing ever according to Snow. I read that and I said....I'm not boring! Am I? I don't think so nor do I think the job is boring. I think there is a stereotype of that field being like that, but I don't think it applies to me. I actually like my job. Good thing too because I'll be busier at work, my coworker had her last day this last Friday. My bosses have a place up in the mountains so Monday I'll be all alone. But I actually kind of like that. I'm fine if you just leave me alone and let me do my job.


I made beer cheese soup today! That's not boring! Au contraire! I saw the recipe in a Williams Sonoma catalog and it made me homesick for Minnesota. We had a place to get eats next door where I worked and he made beer cheese soup. I made it according to the directions and it was yummy! I add buttered popcorn as a garnish and a dash of cayenne. Next time I will adjust the recipe with a pale ale instead of a dark ale and I'll not use sharp cheddar, it had a bit of a bite. A plain aged cheddar or Colby would do fine. It was a nice excuse to drink dark ale, like I need one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cheddar-ale soup

4 Tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, finely diced
2 celery stalks, finely diced
2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups milk
1 3/4 cups chicken stock (I used low-sodium organic)
1 bottle (12 fl. oz.) ale
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 1/4 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, grated (I'd suggest using un-sharp!)
salt, to taste
cayenne pepper, to taste
Buttered popcorn, (I used microwave popcorn)

In stockpot over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add onion, celery and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft, 10-15 minutes. Stir in flour; cook 3-5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; whisk in milk and stock. Bring to simmer; cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Using immersion blender, puree until smooth; strain through fine-mesh sieve. (I pureed, but did not strain it, I wanted all the fiber).

Return mixture to pot; set over medium heat. Add ale, Worcestershire and mustard; simmer 5 minutes. Whisk in cheese 1/2 cup at a time, letting each addition melt before adding more; do not allow soup to boil. Season with salt and cayenne. Ladle into warmed bowls. Serves 4-6.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're getting rain. Started last night and on and off all day. I love it! Worked around the house, wash, cleaning, wrapping and we're doing the tree. Still intend to get a batch of marshmallows made tonight and maybe some peanut brittle, although we usually don't make peanut brittle when it's raining, it doesn't seem to set right, but I'll still try.

Labels:






1 Comments:

Blogger Tori said...

Nope, Not boring! Fun things on your post like Cheddar-Ale Soup and a trivia contest...Not boring! :-)

Post a Comment

<< Home