January 21, 2008
By loving others, I help improve the quality of their lives.

No good reason for me not blogging this weekend. I seem to be taking the weekends off without intending too. Perhaps that is a good thing so that I can actually accomplish something over the weekend.

Had a weird thing happen at work last Friday. When I was leaving work there was a group of good looking men in the parking lot, I looked around and here was a section of our parking lot sectioned off with yellow crime scene tape. I called my boss to tell him what was going on. There was maybe 5-8 police cars and some unmarked cars and a guy in a suit. There was definitely something weird going on. I thought about it Friday night and then I forgot about it. I asked my boss about it this morning and he heard that they found a car of a guy who is an ex-police officer and went missing from a local town, not this town, but he's been missing for 2-3 weeks and two of his cars are also missing and one of them turned up in our parking lot and had been there for about a week. Someone must have called about a car being parked. We are in a small industrial park and you tend to notice those things. I hadn't heard about this man missing, but something odd has happened I guess. Spooky that things like this go on all around you. You just never know. (***Edited before I posted. I just heard that they found the poor guys body in the back seat of that car. The Coroner's office was called out. How tragic. How scary.)

I was sure I was getting that cold finally Friday. I felt horrible, was sneezing and blowing all day, felt like I would lose my voice... and then Friday night it went away and I was fine all weekend. Frustrating. But I should not complain because of all the icky stuff going around and I'm doing good.

I did make a really good homemade chicken noodle soup Saturday in anticipation of feeling under the weather. I took a whole chicken, cut it up, seasoned with salt and pepper and browned it in a heavy duty dutch oven. Then in a stock pot I put in a chopped onion, about 3-4 carrots and 2 celery ribs. I added the chicken pieces and enough water to cover and brought that to a boil. Then I simmered covered for about 1 1/2 hours. I then removed the chicken, removed the vegetables and discarded. I added 3 carrots diced, 1 celery stalk diced and about a cup of fresh green beans. Shredded the chicken and discarded the skin and added 1/2 of the shredded chicken. Then I added 2 tsp. of Vegeta. I got this seasoning at a russian grocery store in MN and I forget to use it, but it is very flavorful. I would add more next time, 2 tsp. wasn't enough, but it did have a good natural tasting broth. I also added half a package of noodles. It hit the spot for me.

I also made lemon curd and a lemon tart with that lemon curd. We saw Barefoot Contessa making it this weekend and Mamacita asked me if I'd make a batch because we had a bunch of lemons to use up. I've made it before but not this recipe. It's pretty easy. You get the rind from about 3 lemons, put it in the food processor with sugar and pulse. In a mixer you cream butter and sugar and then add eggs, one at a time. Then you add fresh squeezed lemon juice. You take that custardy mixture and put it over low flame and stir until it thickens slightly. That's it. To make the lemon curd tart we took pre-packaged pie crust and put it in the bottom of a tart pan. I used both crusts, one of top of the other and formed it on the sides. Baked it for 5 minutes. Punctured the bottom and then baked another 5-10 minutes until browned. Cooled. Then add the lemon curd. Yum!

I had a piece of the lemon curd tart last night, but will have to watch it now. I'm down about 21 lbs. since I started Weight Watchers in September, and I love that I can still indulge but then I just watch myself and I watch my portions. Works for me.

Labels: ,






1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Scary about the guy's car and body being found.
Did you get sick? Hope not.

Post a Comment

<< Home