May 19, 2008
I easily flow with change. I am always going in the best direction.

I made this salad yesterday because I've read about how great quinoa is as a whole grain. It's pronounced 'Keen Wa' in case you are wondering and I have to say that my first attempt with this recipe was a resounding success! I love it, it's nutty and flavorful. I can't wait to have some for lunch. Along with my tabbouleh that I made yesterday and some feta cheese. I think I must be Greek and nobody told my family. I like the Mediterranean diet and I'm finding that I do not need a lot of meat in my diet to be satisfied. I found some lovely orange and yellow tomatoes yesterday and they are in the tabbouleh, plus a couple diced Persian cucumbers. Yum! I can't wait for lunch!

I'm feeling better and so my appetite seems to be back which is great I guess except I'd really like to keep off the weight I lost while being sick. I think I am, as long as I keep it healthy and balanced. So here is the recipe for the quinoa salad and please try it even if you aren't watching your weight. It's really good and I think you'll like it.

Quinoa Salad with Corn and Peppers
POINTS: 3 per serving (Weight Watchers)

INSTRUCTIONS
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 piece corn on the cob, steamed, cooled and kernels removed (I used 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed)
1/2 medium sweet red pepper(s), diced
1/2 medium yellow pepper(s), diced
1 1/2 Tbsp orange zest
1/3 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
1 tsp canola oil
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
2 Tbsp chopped almonds, toasted


Boil 2 cups of water over medium-high heat. Add quinoa and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes; cool to room temperature.

Stir lemon juice, corn, peppers, orange zest and juice, oil, salt and pepper into quinoa. Transfer to a serving bowl; sprinkle with almonds and serve. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

I went shopping yesterday and got a pair of shorts, bought them a size smaller than usual but I hate to try stuff on at the store, so I came home and tried them on and they not only fit, they were almost....almost too big!! So happy!

I didn't do that much this weekend, I really wanted to get out, was going to take my friend and her girls to a movie, but decided I needed to stay home and recuperate and I really do feel better today. The CT scan was normal, nothing major showed but the Dr. was going to send me to a pulmonologist. But now that the congestion and cough are going away I won't go.

I got a lot of knitting done on my clapotis, it'll be done tonight and then I'll take pics. I love the colors but it's definitely for cooler weather so it'll be a while before I can actually use it. It's wool and mohair and it's warm!





Labels:






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home